The first fully refurbished Avanti West Coast Pendolino has re-entered service following the multi million pound upgrade!
By the end of the programme, all 56 of Avanti West Coast’s iconic Pendolinos will be completely transformed. The trains are widely regarded as the UK’s hardest working train fleet, clocking up more than 270 million miles since they were launched – enough to go to the moon and back more than 500 times!
The Pendolinos have served routes between London, Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool, Glasgow, and Edinburgh for close to 20 years.
The £117m upgrade programme has been two years in the making and involved experts in technology, customer information and ergonomics. Customer improvements include:
- 25,000 new, ergonomic Standard Class seats
- Conversion of one First Class carriage on each of the 35 eleven-carriage Pendolinos to provide more than 2,000 extra Standard Class seats
- The introduction of a new onboard shop
- Improved lighting and new interior carpets throughout using sustainable British wool
- Greater use of technology with customer-friendly passenger information screens
- Additional luggage space in Standard Class
- Power points at every seat
- Refurbished toilets
- New First and Standard Premium seats